This dreamy ‘custard’ recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free and contains no added sugars. Instead of regular custard (which uses milk, sugar and cornstarch), this healthier version uses coconut milk and honey. Some vanilla paste and nutmeg give it a wonderfully wholesome, satisfying flavor. Top it off with some strawberries or another low sugar fruit.
You’ll notice that this custard calls for 5 egg yolks. The yolks are the most nutritious part of the egg, full of healthy fat, protein and micronutrients, but that doesn’t mean you need throw away the egg whites. Just keep them in your fridge and use them for baking.
- 1 16 oz. can coconut milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla bean paste
- Ground nutmeg
- Pre heat the oven to 320F.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs yolks until combined.
- Shake the coconut milk can well, and in another large bowl pour in half the coconut milk. Place a fine mesh sieve over the top.
- In a saucepan, heat the other half over the coconut milk over a medium heat until just beginning to steam, do not let it boil.
- Slowly, whilst whisking all the time, pour the warm coconut milk into the egg yolks in a thin steady stream.
- Once all the warm coconut milk has been poured in, whisk in the honey and vanilla bean paste. Pour this egg and coconut milk mixture into the other bowl of cold coconut milk through the sieve.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour into 3 or 4 small ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a casserole dish and pour in hot water in until it is halfway up the ramekins.
Cover the dish with foil tightly and bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until the custard is pulling away from the sides and set with a slight wobble to it still.
Serve topped with strawberrries and ground nutmeg.
Preparing nutritious meals with the right ingredients is extremely important when you have adrenal fatigue. My Adrenal Fatigue Recipe Book contains more than 50 energy-boosting recipes that are guaranteed to improve your health. It’s included in The Recipes Package.