Did you know that quinoa is a complete form of protein? That means that it contains all nine of the amino acids that your body can’t produce by itself. Even better, it is packed full of fiber, magnesium, and lots of other nutrients that we need to thrive.
Quinoa can be fabulous simply as an alternative to rice, but there are lots of other ways to use it. You can bake muffins, make cookies, or prepare this delicious meatloaf. To make it even more nutritious, I ask my butcher to mix in some beef liver with the mince. That way, you get all the benefits of the liver (often known as “nature’s multivitamin”) without that strong liver taste. If your kids struggle to eat liver and other organ meats, here’s the solution!
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb. beef mince (mixture of regular beef mince and beef liver)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 14 oz. jar chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Cook the quinoa in boiling water according to the packet’s instructions. Put to one side.
- In a medium pan heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the onion until soft and translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl mix together half the onion, garlic, mince, eggs, cooked qunioa and herbs, as well as salt and pepper.
- Grease a 1lb loaf tin or line with baking paper.
- Press the mince mixture into the tin and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until cooked through. If the meat begins to brown to quickly on top, cover with a little foil.
- Whilst the meatloaf is cooking, in a large pan simmer to tomatoes with the other half of the onion, oregano and basil for 15 minutes, then blend until smooth.
- Once the meatloaf has cooked, leave it to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Re heat the sauce, pour over the meatloaf and top with freshly chopped parsley.
Preparing nutritious meals with the right ingredients is extremely important when you have adrenal fatigue. My Adrenal Fatigue Recipe Book contains more than 50 energy-boosting recipes that are guaranteed to improve your health. It’s included in The Recipes Package.